A short-term visa for travelers who are visiting Japan for sightseeing. Please find the list of the required documents below.
All submitted documents must be originals (copies will not be accepted unless stated otherwise below); these documents should not be more than 3 months old.
All documents written in a language other than English, French or Japanese must be accompanied by a translation in one of these languages.
WARNING: Be aware of fraudulent websites, social media, emails attempting to extract payments from visa applicants
Frequently Asked Questions
- Application Form
- Screen-Fillable PDF Application Form (Sample)
- Fill out the form on your computer and print it out.
- Do not leave any blanks; if an item does not apply to you, write "Not Applicable" or "N/A".
- The signature must be identical to the one in your passport.
- You can also obtain the basic form at the Consular Section's counter.
- One photo (45mm × 35mm; Canadian passport size is also acceptable)
- The photo must have been taken within the last 6 months.
- The photo must be of professional quality, showing your full face, without hats or backgrounds.
- A passport and a photocopy of this passport (with your personal information and picture)
- The passport must be valid; 2 adjacent pages must be blank.
- If your signature does not appear on the first page, provide us with a photocopy of the page where it does appear, as well.
- Proof of your status in Canada (the original of your Permanent Resident Card, Work Visa, Student's Visa, etc.) and a photocopy (both sides) of the same document
- Confirmation of your airline tickets' reservations or flight itinerary
- The itinerary must clearly indicate your point of departure within Canada, your point of arrival within Japan, your point of departure from Japan, your final destination in Canada, as well as any other place that you may visit during your trip.
- Valid entry visa for the country of destination after leaving Japan
- If the country of destination gives a visa exemption to citizens of your country, please provide us with written proof of said exemption.
- Confirmation of your hotel's reservation
- If you have not booked your accommodation yet, you must submit the information of the accommodation that you are planning to book.
- Your most recent bank statement(s) (to prove your financial stability)
- The name of the applicant must appear on the document.
- The document must be recent, which means it must have been issued within the last two weeks prior to your visa application.
- Schedule of Stay (English / Japanese) (Sample)
- The Schedule must include at least one (1) line per day spent in Japan, including the day of arrival and the day of departure; a Schedule of a stay of 12 days must thus include 12 lines at minimum.
- Make sure to provide sufficient details; for example "Visiting Tokyo" is not an acceptable entry.
- If you don't have enough space to write everything in the pdf document provided, feel free to reproduce the form in your favorite text editing software and adjust the size of the cells, fonts, etc. as necessary.
- If the applicant is a minor (under 18 years of age), a letter of consent signed by both parents or legal guardians. Please include the photocopy of each parent or guardian's proof of ID with photo and signature (passport, driver's licence, etc.)
- Please note that additional documents may be requested due to the nature of the visa application process.
- Typically, it takes 5 business days for the visa application to be processed and the visa to be issued, but it may be necessary to conduct additional verifications because of the particular circumstances of individual applications.