Temporary Visits - Visiting Relatives and Acquaintances

A short-term visa for people who wish to visit relatives, friends or acquaintances living in Japan. Please find the list of the required documents below.

All submitted documents must be originals (copies will not be accepted unless stated otherwise below); these documents should not be more than 3 months old.

All documents written in a language other than English, French or Japanese must be accompanied by a translation in one of these languages.

WARNING: Be aware of fraudulent websites, social media, emails attempting to extract payments from visa applicants

Frequently Asked Questions


  1. Application Form
  2. One photo (2 in × 2 in; Canadian passport size is also acceptable)
  3. A passport and a photocopy of this passport (with your personal information and picture)
  4. Proof of your status in Canada (the original of your Permanent Resident Card, Work Visa, Student's Visa, etc.) and a photocopy (both sides) of the same document
  5. Confirmation of your airline tickets' reservations or flight itinerary
  6. Confirmation of your hotel's reservation
  7. Your most recent bank statement(s) (to prove your financial stability)
  8. If you are visiting relatives, include documents which prove your kinship (birth certificates, family registers, etc.)
  9. Proof of employment or enrollment in school
  10. If the applicant is a minor (under 18 years of age), a letter of consent signed by both parents or legal guardians. Please include the photocopy of each parent or guardian's proof of ID with photo and signature (passport, driver's licence, etc.)
  11. Documents to be prepared by the party living in Japan:
    1. Letter of reason for invitation (English / Japanese
    2. Letter of Guarantee (English / Japanese)
    3. Schedule of Stay (English / Japanese) (Sample)
    4. Resident's Registration (Jūminhyō)
    5. If the party living in Japan is a foreign national, a photocopy (both sides) of this person's Residence Card (Zairyū Kādo)
    6. If the party living in Japan pays for travel expenses (in total or in part, such as accommodations), submit one of the following:

Important notes